Wednesday 2 November 2016

San Diego

We arrived in San Diego again to have Justin fly out to Fort McMurray for a week of work.   At least this would be the last time for a while as I will have Justin for 7 weeks next time he flies back to the boat.   But now I have a week in San Diego with Vada.

We docked at the police wharf on Shelter Island,  which turned out to be lovely.   Shelter Island has basically one side devoted to a scenic walk along the water doted with artwork and has the other side devoted to hotels, which provided nice restaurants and free WiFi.

I didn't know much about San Diego before arrival.   It was apparent upon sailing into San Diego Harbor that there was a  high military presence in the city.  We sailed past 4 parked, active submarines.   Helicopters flew by overhead repeatedly.   I was delighted to learn that San Diego had a retired aircraft carrier that had been retrofitted as a tourist attraction.   Justin and I had been on a WW2 submarine and WW2 battleship in Pearl Harbour last summer,  and we had just got to explore a WW2 merchant marine cargo ship in San Francisco.  A WW2 aircraft carrier was the last item on our list. So I got to spend about 7 hours exploring the USS Midway.  Although the entire experience was amazing,  the best part for me was having retired veterans explain to me  about taking off / landing on aircraft carriers and hearing about their own personal experiences.

USS Midway Aircraft Carrier

Top deck of USS Midway

USS Midway from control tower

I also saw that San Diego offered such tourist attractions as Sea World and San Diego Safari Zoo, but I was hesitant to visit  these bodies as I don't support organizations associated with the  mistreatment of animals.   I had especially heard negative reviews on Sea World.   So I researched and this is what I learned.  Sea World is who you call when there is sea animal in need of help in the US and they have rescued animals in the tens of thousands over the last 60 years.  They are also recognized as world  leaders in knowledge about the treatment  of marine animals and they are consulted by aquariums worldwide.   Upon PETA's recent accusations of Sea World's mistreatment of animals, governing bodies for zoos and aquariums in the US have looked into these concerns and found nothing to support the accusations. Sea World has also discontinued their orca breading program and are in the process of converting their exhibits from the traditional aquarium  style to a more natural setting for the animals' confort.   So I had no qualms about visiting Sea World after my research.  The San Diego Safari Zoo also had good reviews due to its large enclosures and large breading program with other zoos worldwide for endangered species.   I thoroughly enjoyed both places and would recommend them to anyone.


Sealions show at Sea World


One of the rides at Sea World

Dolphin show at Sea World

Orca Show at Sea World

San Diego Safari Zoo

San Diego Safari Zoo

Cheetah run at San Diego Safari Zoo

San Diego Safari Zoo

San Diego Safari Zoo

I also treated myself to a day at the spa.  Salt water and wind does not do much good for the hair.  And the cramped quaters of the boat do contribute to cramped muscles.  I had the best message in my life.  I also spent an evening walking through the shops in the Seaside Village.

As our next stop was to be in Mexico,  I needed to take Vada to the vet for another certificate of health.  Vada also had her teeth cleaned, which significantly improved her breath.

The week in San Diego ended with me finally meeting our traveling companions for the next leg of our journey,  Allyson and Steve Manteo.   We clicked right away and finished prepping the boat together.   Now for Mexico. ........

1 comment: