Monday 10 October 2016

San Francisco

We arrived in San Francisco just in the nic of time for Justin to rush off and catch his flight.  Vada and I spent 3 weeks in San Francisco.  For the first and last week, Justin was away working.  Justin was back with us for the middle week,  but there was so many boat repairs required that we only got one night out together before he had to fly back.  Justin did a separate blog on his boat repairs and awesome improvements, but I'm also including a picture of Justin replacing the wind vane at the top of the mast.

Justin climbing the mast to change out the wind vane

We were a little exhausted and the boat required some TLC after our eventful trip from Victoria to San Francisco.  So for the first few days in San Francisco, I slept, cuddled with Vada, took Vada on walks, and cleaned the boat.  Then I was ready to get out and about.  I leisurely toured San Francisco, doing all the famous attraction such as fisherman's wharf, Golden Gate Bridge, Coit tower, Ghirardelli chocolate factory, Lombard st, etc.  My favourite attractions were Alcatraz and the Jeremiah O'Brien, an old WW2 merchant marine convoy ship.

San Francisco trollies!
Coat Tower
Ghiradelli Chocolate Factory - mmmmmmm
Lombard St, the Crookedest St

Palace of Fine Arts

Eureka Ferry Boat on Hyde St

Despite Justin being in an Fransisco multiple times, he had never gotten to see Alcatraz.  So we had to go, of course!  I actually went twice, once on my own and once with Justin.

Alcatraz watch tower

View of foggy San Fran from Alcatraz
Solitary confinement


Solitary confinement

I also knew Justin would love to see the WW2 merchant ship and old square riggers on Hyde St.  So we snuck in a quick 2 half days of touristy stuff for Justin before heading out to San Diego.  Justin loved the Jeremiah O'Brien because the forward gun and the ship's engine still worked.  See the picture of Justin operating the gears for aiming the forward gun. 

Square rigger on Hyde St

Square riggers on Hyde St
Jeremiah O'Brien - Welcome aboard
Jeremiah O'Brien - Maybe just a little excited

I also got in some time for some exercise classes.  I skyped my belly dance ladies in Fort McMurray and followed along with several classes.  It was so good to see their faces.  I took some local yoga classes.  I did a 4 hour workshop on paddleboard yoga.  I absolutely loved this and want to get a yoga paddleboard.  I also found a local bellydance studio and tried a couple of classes.

Paddleboard yoga

Overall, I really enjoyed San Francisco and couldn't get over how friendly the people of San Fransisco are.   I did find it quite lonely as Justin was working for the majority of the visit.  Poor Vada had to suffer extra attention because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment